Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Chrysalides

Today I took the next step in the journey with my chrysalides.  I transferred them from their tiny jar to their new home until I release them outside.  I have agonized over this moment, hoping everything goes well and nobody gets hurt.  Once the caterpillars are ready to transform into chrysalides, they attach themselves to the top of the jar and hang upside down while the change takes place.  I was concerned because one of the caterpillars ripped the paper he attached himself to and was dangling from it.  He looks like he could fall at any moment, but so far he is still hanging on.  You can see the lowest one in the center is the one I'm concerned about.


Carefully opening the lid



This is when for a moment I thought one of the chrysalides had detached and fallen off. 
False alarm, they were all okay.


Safe and sound inside their new home.  I taped them to the top of the cage.


Per Deb's request, here is a picture of the box I saw in the store. 
 I named them after the characters on The Big Bang Theory.


No comments:

Post a Comment