Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Why did the turtle cross the road?


Last summer, on a day like every other day, I was driving home from my chiropractor when something AWESOME caught my eye.  I was driving along deep in thought when suddenly, "What the heck, oh my gosh... there is a ginormous turtle crossing the road!"  At the point that I saw it, the turtle was on the side of the road near the curb.  I slammed on my breaks, waited for traffic, quickly made a u-turn, found the closest parking lot, grabbed my phone and camera and ran towards the action.  Well, at that point the only action was this ancient looking turtle and my wild self running excitedly across traffic to get to this beauty.  Once I got to him, he had moved further into the road, cars now swerving around him.  I could not believe my luck crossing paths with this awesome animal that I just had to call Gabriel to fill him in on my excitement. 
                           

Not long after getting some great pictures, some teenage guys joined us.  The turtle was now in the center of the road blocking both directions of traffic.  Luckily, one of the guys brought along an ice scraper to lure the turtle across the road, away from the traffic backing up. 


The turtle was making his way to a pond on the other side of the road rather slowly, with the help of this guy though the journey sped up quite a bit.  I followed Mr. turtle all the way back to his home to make sure he made it safe and sound.  I just wonder why he left his pond in the first place.  Anyway, it brightened my day.  I can't wait to get my very own turtle someday.  Actually, I'd like a tortoise, just like the tortoises I came upon randomly also last summer.  But that is a story for another time. 


     
 My shadow following close behind

On his way home



Safe and sound!


1 comment: